Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Gingerbread Houses

My girls love candy. But doesn't every kid? I haven't actually helped my girls make a Gingerbread house before. I have always passed that sticky, messy job onto someone else like my sis Lindsay or my mother. I think it has literally been YEARS since I joined in on a gingerbread house making activity! But this year, I bought one of these Gingerbread House making kits on Black Friday super cheap and decided I'd try it with my girls.

Note to self: assemble the gingerbread house BEFORE you start the decorating process!


After I got the girls all excited and pulled out the candy and icing on the table, I read the directions. I was supposed to let this all dry for HOURS! Oops. So I asked Jada "Should we follow the directions and wait until tomorrow? Or not follow the directions and it might be ruined?" My otherwise quite logically-minded daughter Jada was completely driven by a sugar craving and replied, "Well, lets just ignore the directions just this time. And if its ruined we can make another one tomorrow!" So we went against both of our better judgments and began the gingerbread house making process.

Kalle and Jada's ultra concentrated, sugar-coated faces... ...And Kalle and Jada's super giddy, sugar-high faces...We had some set backs along the way but I decided to not care at all about the end result. It was the process that was supposed to be the enjoyable part anyways. Thank goodness I decided that or else this could've been a disaster!Each girl got to decorate one side of the roof. No windows. No Door. No Wreaths or icicles. Just licked and sucked on candy stuck on too thick icing on top of a roof held up by toothpicks that kept falling over. It is hilarious looking! But my girls made it - and I love it.When all was said and done, I think we had quite a fun, sticky, very messy evening!

No comments: