Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Nap Time

Both of my twin boys are napping right now. As they do every day from 1-3. I try my hardest to get both of my girls to sleep at some point during the same time. I work all morning to get all four kids in bed at the exact same time. Most days my efforts are rewarded with about 15-30 minutes of childless bliss. Some days I fail and have zero minutes alone. Today, however, I am a champion. I am on minute 37 of alone time and still have no kids around me at this very moment! Ha Ha!

Wanna know my secret today? My girls are not sleeping - they are 'tricking' me by playing together in their room with the light off and the door closed. Though I have 'scolded' them once and told them to go to sleep, the wise all-knowing mother that I am knew that if I did it would make their secret play-time that much more enjoyable and last just a little longer before one of them comes to me to referee a dispute. Oh the cleverness of me!

Wanna know another secret? Because neither of my girls is sleeping right now, our evening will be much more difficult. We will endure lack-of-sleep induced melt-downs and temper tantrums and of course exponentially more whining, arguing and crying. But, I knew that was the trade off for my little afternoon delight. So I am going to savor these few moments alone.

Don't get me wrong, I still love my kids. But I can only tolerate lovingly care for them in doses. Is that so wrong?

2 comments:

Becky said...

I go through many hoops to get my boys to sleep at the same time too. And I only have 2. I totally understand that you can only last so long in "mommy" mode before you are done. I feel the same way regularly.

Kirstin - Klinton - Max - Krieg Starr said...

Just catching up on your blog here. I am loving all the pics. Nap time is absolutely the best time of the day! I always say: you can't take care of your kids unless you take care of yourself. Most days we don't really get to do that, but nap time is our small glimmer of hope to catch up. It looks like you guys have your hands wrapped around this whole twin thing and four kids. I think my favorite picture is Christopher holding both your boys.