Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Big Bathtub Boo Boo :-(

A few weeks ago our fun-loving little Kalle got a boo boo. I feel like it was partly my fault since I was the one "in charge." Poor thing. Jada and Kalle were taking a bath in my mom's whirlpool tub and somehow (this is still the sketchy part) a large chunk of broken glass from a decorative candle fell into the bottom of the bathtub. Kalle knelt down right on top of the sharp edge of glass and it split her kneecap skin right open. Unfortunately Christopher was not there so my father and I spent over TWO HOURS in the ER at the local children's hospital. The gash was repulsive looking and Kalle was much more brave than I. She kept wanting to look at this open gaping wound and stick her finger inside it over and over! GROSS! After the long, traumatic ER visit, Kalle ended up leaving with 6 rather large stitches and the charge to keep her out of water for 14 days. Awesome.

The next two weeks were torturous as we tried to keep her from bending her knee too far (practically impossible), kneeling on her knee (virtually impossible), or tearing the bandages off and scratching at her stitches (impossible).


Kalle got off the three sets of bandages taped on to her skin and clothes and her two pairs of pants and socks a total of three times during those 14 days. We made it just over 6 days before the first incident (resulting in 4 completely ripped out stitches, blo
od and subsequent butterfly bandages). Then 9 days before the second incident (resulting in more blood). And then somewhere around the 13th day we lost another stitch. So when I showed up 14 days later at the doctor's office to get Kalle's stitches out...she only had 1 left. Sad. I felt like a horrible mother. But in my defense - we sure as heck tried HARD!!! And Kalle never cried when she ripped her stitches out or anything. She was sooooo tough. "NBD mom!" I'm such a whimp. I wept like I was the baby at the ER when Kalle got her stitches. It took 4 people to hold her down...shes crazy, have I said that yet??

We had to clean this wound 2-3 times a day! Uggggghhh!This is the morning after the ER visit. I felt so horrible. So I fed Kalle chocolate for breakfast :) And many more times after that too.Only two stitches left in this picture...Here is Kalle's scar today...This video and photos were after Kalle ripped out her stitches the first time...Chris made a splint for her leg out of cardboard and she wore it for a day and a half so she couldn't bend her knee and reopen her gash again and again. We laughed at her. But she kind of deserved it ;-) And she kind of liked the challenge I think!




4 comments:

Margie Quilter said...

Sad!!!! she is adorable though :)

Leah McChesney said...

Oh my gosh Kim, that is horrible! Poor Kalle, poor Mom! So glad all is well now and you are an awesome mom!

Stephanie said...

She doesn't seem too effected by it. What a trooper.

Is Chris in a towel?

Mallory said...

What is Chris wearing, or not wearing? I think she looks pretty tough. Just throw some of that scar cream on her and she will still have great gams just like her mother!