Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Caution Chefs!

Sometimes I let Jada help me cook in the kitchen. I say "sometimes" because I only cook sometimes, if I cooked all the time than I would've said "I always let Jada help me cook in the kitchen." Well, a few weeks ago I was trying a new Mexican recipe from my awesome cousin Margo and it called for all sorts of spicy ingredients. I was just about finished and Jada was sitting on a stool next to the counter where I had been cutting up fresh veggies. Of course I was conscientious enough to put the sharp knife out of Jada's reach before walking away. But I still wasn't quite paying enough attention to the inquisitive 3-year-old. Jada had innocently been examining the leftover portions of some veggies on the counter - one of which was half of a jalapeno pepper. Jada had pulled the seeds out with her bare hands and had spread them out to count. She was probably counting seeds for a few minutes at most before I took everything away and threw them in the garbage. Then Chris came into the kitchen and asked if I had washed her hands yet (oops). Jada immediately knew that there was something on her hands that we wanted to wash off so she quickly put her fingers into her mouth to taste them before we could wash off the yummy residue. (Big Oops!) Of course she started to cry as her mouth was on fire and then she rubbed her eyes!!!!!!

The battle just got worse and I ended up stripping Jada down and throwing her in the shower to try to get all of the jalapeno juice off of her. Her lips, cheeks and eyes all swelled up in red puffy patches. This is poor Jada lying on my bed in a towel unable to move or really open her eyes for more than half an hour after the shower. And yes, we were having company for dinner that night. And yes, I did literally jump in the shower with Jada too, completely soaking myself in the process. And yes, I failed as a cautious chef/mother. And I don't think that I have really cooked since then...
Thanks for cooking this month honey, I'll get the jitters out of me sooner or later and step back into the kitchen again....maybe ;-)

7 comments:

lisa h. said...

i am SOOOO sorry! oh my gosh! those dang peppers are a menace! i was seeding some w/ my bare finger a few weeks ago and a while later i noticed my fingers burning and stinging! it lasted for almost 10 hrs! i was going nuts, i had to ice my hand and rub it w/ burn cream!

Becky said...

That is the saddest story ever. I hope Jada isn't completely turned off cooking forever. Although, I have a feeling this experience will be affecting you for much longer than it affects her. And I will remember to always keep hot peppers away from kids.

whitney allison said...

Poor little girl! Those pepper seeds are the worst part of the pepper too. You're probably right to never cook again. Just kidding.

Margo said...

My heart is broken. She looks so sad. I was a cuting a pepper for that dish and it about killed me once. My eyes were in so much pain, I could not see straight for a couple hours.

Sister Sonksen said...

My poor baby !!!! I'm so sad.

Monica said...

poor jada!! No matter how carfeul we are something is bound to happen at one point or another to all of us...I have found Rylan with a stake knife and a banana.....no injuries, but it scared the socks off of me!!

Stephanie said...

This is soo sad! Poor jada poo.