Wednesday, August 13, 2008

The Other Washington

I had only been home from our lengthy trip to Seattle, Washington for a short number of hours when I returned to the airport - only this time I was headed to Washington D.C. and I had a PACKED suitcase. Kalle and I headed up to Washington to visit my super awesome sister who lives in Arlington, VA but works on "The Hill" in the Senate office.

I don't think that I can even begin to express my 100% dissatisfaction with Delta Airlines. And then if I did start to tell my atrocious story I'm sure I would be so angry and fuming that I wouldn't be able to fall asleep tonight.
Instead, I'll say that I had a fun weekend with my sister and my baby and I was such a tourist once again! Take a peek...
We went window shopping in Georgetown which was so beautiful and charming and full of well-dressed, good-looking people.
Of course we got a half dozen cupcakes at Georgetown Cupcakes and ate them all! (No, Kalle did not help us). My favorite flavors were Lemon Berry and Vanilla 2.

We spent an afternoon at the Met - I was in HEAVEN! Literally, I think my heart longs to be inside good museums. I was so happy while we were there.

We saw the Washington Monument...

The Jefferson Memorial...

And of course, the White House. I love this picture of Steph holding Kalle up with that funny look on her face like Kalle is a big slimy fish she just caught that she wants to be holding for the picture but doesn't really want to be touching at all! Even though that's totally not true because Stephanie is the best aunt and she loved holding Kalle!!

Even though Steph only lives 5 miles from Capital Hill it takes her an HOUR to commute there! A bus ride and two metro rides and a nice long walk from Union Station to her building is how she has to get to and from work every day! It was crazy! So in the summer it is actually faster if she just rides her bike - not too mention much more pleasant. This is my adorable sis arriving home from a hard day's work...

One day Kalle and I tried her crazy commuting method to go visit her at her office in the Senate building. It was quite a journey for us (especially since I had to carry Kalle because she does not like her stroller). Once we finally made it we got to eat with Steph in the Senate cafeteria for lunch and check out her second home. I honestly think she works from 8am to 7pm. Then Kalle and I took a tour of the Capital which is connected to the Senate building underground. Supercool. Notice how I risked my life to stand in the middle of the road to take this cool photo of the Capital?

I had a fabulous time hanging out with my sister and her fabulous roommates! We went to her humongous singles ward for church and of course attended a couple of parties! We were totally the coolest kids there, y'know, since we had a baby!! Thanks Steph! You were the best hostess!

3 comments:

Becky said...

You really have been getting around. It is a wonder you are ever able to post anything at all. I have never been to D.C. but it is totally on my list of places to go. Pretty much everywhere is on my list of places to go as I love to travel.

I have recently had some bad airline experiences as well. We are trying a European airline to get to Geneva in a couple of weeks cuz I couldn't decide which American airline I hated the least. They have all disappointed me recently. I sure hope British Air is better.

whitney allison said...

Fun trip. Your right about the "fish" picture, totally funny. Stephanie is so cute, tell her I said hi.

Stephanie said...

Hey I love the post, I love the pictures! Thanks so much for coming, we really had the best time.