Monday, October 11, 2010

Twinlets First Party

We had the BEST party this weekend! (not to brag, but well yes, kind of bragging) But really, it was special, and memorable and basically life-changing! Lets start at the beginning...

I had a routine ultrasound at my high-risk doctors office on Wednesday, October 6th. I was 14.5 weeks pregnant. Chris was with me, fortunately again, as the ultrasound tech, Sandy, was just beginning to measure Baby A when she said "Ooo - do you want to know the sex of your baby?" Chris and I were shocked that she was able to even tell! We were looking at the same image as her and had no idea what she was seeing! We couldn't decide so we said, yes of course but not right this second, not this way. Jada and Kalle weren't there and we were just so unprepared for this momentous occasion!

We had heard about other couples who had a "sex party" and in some creative way revealed the gender of their unborn child. I thought these sounded so fun, such a great way to really involve your older children and close friends. Chris and I also LOVE Halloween and have always thrown a big Halloween party, so we had already talked about combining the two ideas - having a Halloween party with friends and at the same time announcing the gender of our twins! My mom reminded me of this adorable idea my cousin did last year of dying the batter of a cake and frosting it so that no one can tell what color is inside until you cut into the cake. We decided thatthe colored cake idea was totally what we wanted.

Chris and I have this incredibly talented neighbor, Suzy, who has a cake business so we had already spoken to her about making us two cakes for our Halloween/gender revealing party (every time I try to say that it sounds a little dirty ;) Yikes!) She was of course beyond excited and we began inviting our neighbors.

Then we went to my ultrasound appointment, the one before the big gender announcing ultrasound (so we thought). But I guess at these high-risk doctor offices they have these high-quality ultrasound machines and can often times 'see' a lot more details of your babies than a standard ultrasound machine. But what do I know, nothing really, just what they tell me :)

So here we are, at 14.5 weeks with this dilemma: "Do we not find out today and wait for three weeks like we had planned?" or "Do we find out and not tell anyone until our party in three weeks?" or "Do we find out and just tell everyone now?" See. We were so confused. Chris decided to explain our situation to our ultrasound tech who thought our party and the colored cakes idea was so awesome that she just couldn't help herself. She took two photos side by side of our babies (y'know, the really revealing kind of photos) and put them in an envelope. She licked the envelope closed and then taped it down for good measure. Then she wrote "SEALED!" on the back, really large, and "ONLY TO BE OPENED BY 'BAKER'" on the front.

We left the office laughing about how ridiculous it was that this envelope held the answer to our biggest question and yet we weren't opening it!! Chris went to work (it was early in the morning) and I drove immediately home and marched the envelope straight over to my neighbor's house. Suzy was completely bewildered and didn't know what to do! I told her that we still loved the cake idea but we just couldn't wait for three weeks to have the Halloween party we had planned and we needed to make a big adjustment. The earliest we could have the party was 3 days from then on that Saturday, October 9th. So the date was set. I told all of our neighbors and everyone was super excited. Chris and I were going crazy.

Finally, after three sleepless nights (literally) Saturday came. Here are some highlights from our super awesome, fantabulous, spectacular "sex party" :-)Chris and one of our awesome neighbors grilled hot dogs and hamburgers for everyone at the party. We had 34 people! It was a HUGE block party! But I guess we had some pretty good bait to get people to come ;-)
Kalle was crazy. No surprise there.Our beautiful baby cakes. I got all emotional when Suzy brought them over. Aren't they to die for gorgeous? Suzy said she couldn't find a picture of anything she really liked so she just made this up. See the cute baby onesies with the baby blankets? There are even baby foot prints and hand prints stamped into the frosting!The Wernli Family...When we were 3:1 girls ;-)Kalle cut open the first cake - Baby A - because Jada wanted to cut the chocolate one.Baby A/Cake Number One : BLUE!! It's a BOY!Don't let the strawberry filling in the center fool you, it was Suzy's way of keeping us on our toes! And to make the taste taste as good as it looks!!
Jada's turn!Baby B / Cake Number Two : BLUE!! IT'S ANOTHER BOY!!!We are so happy :-)Well, I think so anyways. Jada did say when she was going to bed that night that she had only wanted one boy and one girl, not two boys. But I think she's getting used to the idea now.Kalle had the best time all day - she thought it was someone's birthday and she didn't even care whose it was! Kalle is OBSESSED with birthdays. Really. She's really really crazy about everything birthday. When we finally started getting ready for bed that night she said "What a fun Birthday Party Mom!"The Wernli Family...with a new ratio of 3:3!!!
Here's Suzy with the PROOF! Suzy was the best secret-keeper ever. She didn't even open the envelope until right before she added the food coloring to the cake batter - she was too afraid to spill the beans! She wouldn't even talk to me on the phone on Saturday because she was too nervous. She even managed to hide the cakes from her husband and two kids! And the cakes, party, announcement - all of it - could not have turned out better :-)Me and Suzy, I'm so lucky to have such a wonderful friend :-)
Kalle really enjoyed this party, as I said. She literally stuck her finger into the chocolate cake more times than I'll admit, and ate I think only ice cream and potato chips for dinner that night. I didn't even care!
Here's Kalle and her friend Brynnli playing in the cul-de-sac. They were trying really hard to keep up with all of the big kids on the block!We can't believe it! TWO BOYS! Christopher is making his "Grandpa Lee Face" in this photo. All of the Wernli boys make this face when they are being extremely silly or extremely proud.

Still with the faces...we were so shocked and excited! I never thought I would be buying baby stuff in blue! Ever!

It turned out to be such a magical day. And wouldn't you know, that this day was special for more than one reason? At the exact same time that Jada and Kalle were cutting our cakes discovering they were going to have two brothers, my cousin Margo's triplets were being baptized in Ohio (two of which are boys - and I found out I was expecting twins on Margo's bday - we have such a cool moms of multiples connection already ;). Earlier that day my other cousin Mallory had her first baby shower (its a boy too!) in my mom's home, surrounded by practically everyone in my entire family :) And my other cousin Alexandra announced that she is going to be leaving the first of the year to serve a mission! What an incredibly special day.

3 comments:

lisa h. said...

what a fun fun idea!! and those cakes were beautiful. you'll have so much fun w/ those boys and I can't believe you have 4 now! wow!

Becky said...

Great idea for a big reveal. Looks like you had a lot of fun. I can promise you that boys will keep you on your toes but they are so fun! And they are easy to please too. Just let them get as dirty as possible while playing outside and they are happy as can be. Congrats and good luck on the rest of your pregnancy.

Andi said...

What a fun story! Congrats on the 2 boys! I am having so much fun following your pregnancy and am so excited for you.