Monday, June 14, 2010

Pioneer Trek

(the handcart on the right with the green tarp on top was our family :-))

Chris and I just got home from one of the neatest experiences we've ever had. We were a "Ma & Pa" on a re-enactment pioneer trek here in Florida. We re-enacted the pioneer trek that the early members of our church took when they were forced from their homes in Illinois and Missouri and WALKED to Salt Lake City, Utah - where our church headquarters are still today.

On our trek there were over 200 youth from our church that participated. We were parents of 10 incredible kids. Our family had a small wooden handcart in which we packed all of our belongs for the three day journey and the kids alone pulled the handcart over 22 miles! We all wore period clothing (long skirts, aprons and bonnets for the girls and trousers, suspenders and hats for the boys) and no one was allowed to bring any present day items including phones and ipods or watches and makeup.

(some boys from my ward in Coral Springs standing by their handcarts)

We walked in the South Florida heat (90+ degrees) on a treacherous sugar sand trail, we drank brown, lukewarm well-water, we had to pee in the woods, we got sunburned, eaten by bugs and have huge blisters on our feet. Needless to say, it was a very difficult journey physically but such a fantastic one. I appreciate the sacrifice the pioneers made on their journey to Zion 150 years ago so much more now. And my faith in Jesus Christ was deepened. I don't have time to type out all of my feelings but if you'd like to hear more about it - call me!! Honestly though, Chris and I feel so blessed to have been lucky enough to go on this pioneer trek.

I kind of wish I had my own photos to share...but I looked incredibly horrible so I am actually really glad that I don't have any proof! We did make a few local papers though so click HERE to see some photos and HERE to read what the reporters said :-)

And THANK YOU to everyone who prayed for us :) I know there were a lot of you!!
And THANK YOU Laura and Allison for watching our girls for us!!! We are so incredibly grateful!!

3 comments:

lisa h. said...

you rock for going on that. it would take a lot to get me to do it. i can hardly stand going in my backyard if it's too hot or buggy. good for you guys!

Leah McChesney said...

You are one crazy woman, but thank goodness there are one's that like this kinda stuff! ;) I'm glad you guys had fun. We sure missed you in Atlanta!

A Woman Who LIVED said...

I've always wanted to do something like that. I hope someday I will be able to! It totallly inspires me to want to get something like that together in our area.